I’m an attorney, dispute resolution professional, and public process design consultant based in Santa Fe, NM, where I work with groups of all types to create productive, effective outcomes.
Clients include government groups at the state, local, and national level; nonprofit organizations; the private sector; and individuals. Recent public engagement facilitation projects have included open space management planning for Santa Fe County, a community engagement process in the Rancho Viejo community, and facilitation of police-community relationship-building efforts for the City of Albuquerque. Recent strategic planning projects have included the NM Department of Public Safety and various bureaus of the NM Environment Department. I also serve as a mediator with a focus on family and community issues.
I have a JD and a Master’s in Urban Planning from the University of Michigan, and I am a member of the New Mexico and Michigan Bar Associations. I serve as a co-chair of the ABA Section on Dispute Resolution’s Committee on Public Policy, Consensus-Building, and Democracy, as a member of the New Mexico Statewide Alternative Dispute Resolution Commission, and as a member of the Steering Committee of the New Mexico Bar Association Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee.
Lawrence Meeting Resources, Santa Fe, NM 2008-Present
- Facilitate meetings to create effective collaborative processes, with a focus on governmental organizations’ and communities’ planning and visioning needs.
- Mediate disputes between individuals and groups.
- Prepare clear and concise meeting documents and reports.
- Conduct trainings in mediation and leadership skills.
- Recent facilitation contracts and clients include NM State Police, NM Department of Finance & Administration, NM Environment Department, the City of Albuquerque, and New Mexico First.
- Recent recording/reporting clients include the Valles Caldera National Preserve and Rancho Viejo Partnership.
- Contract mediator for the City of Albuquerque and the NM Children’s Court Mediation Program.
- Settlement facilitator with the New Mexico First Judicial District Court.
- Contract land use facilitator for Santa Fe County.
- Many collaborative projects with The Community Store involving local, state, and federal organizations. In these projects, my role is focused on the creation of analytical and strategic documents.
- Led speaker panel on facilitation as a tool in land use disputes at 2013 Santa Fe Neighborhood Law Conference.
- Led speaker panel on attorneys in family systems mediations at 2017 NM Children’s Law Institute.
Planning & Special Projects Manager, NM Department of Finance & Administration / Local Government Division, Santa Fe, NM 2007-2008
- Managed Infrastructure Capital Improvement Planning program for local governments and state agencies. Advised communities on nature and use of facilities planning, coordinated plans, and used plans to assist state with capital outlay process and spending decisions.
- Presented on planning statewide, including annual presentations to local planning professionals.
- Managed planning-related projects, including state contracts and intra-agency planning.
- Managed staff handling special contracts and projects including youth mentoring, civil legal services, and annexations.
Planner, Architectural Research Consultants, Albuquerque, NM 2005-2007
- Teamed with other planners on community plans including a Southwest Area Strategic Plan for the City of Albuquerque, space needs planning for a Bernalillo County Master Plan, and a growth management plan for San Juan County.
- Conducted growth analyses and enrollment projections for school districts across New Mexico as part of school district facility master plans.
- University of New Mexico School of Law — Mediation Training Coursework, 2010 and 2014
- University of Michigan College of Architecture and Urban Planning — MUP, 2004
- University of Michigan Law School — JD, 2003
- University of Michigan — AB in Psychology with Honors, Mathematics Minor, 2000
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), 2016
- New Mexico State Bar, 2007
- Michigan State Bar, 2004
Memberships & Volunteer Activities
- American Bar Association, Section of Dispute Resolution – Co-Chair, Public Policy, Consensus Building, and Democracy Committee
- New Mexico Statewide ADR Commission – Member
- New Mexico Bar Association, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee – Steering Committee Member
- University of Michigan Alumni Association – Alumni Student Recruitment Volunteer
- New Mexico First – Town Hall Discussion Leader
- Carlos Gilbert Elementary School PTK – Board Secretary
- American Planning Association, New Mexico Chapter
- New Mexico First Judicial District Bar Association – Member